commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Cooper" <martin.coo...@tumbleweed.com>
Subject RE: [fileupload] coding convention
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2002 06:50:47 GMT

As I've stated previously, I have no problem with this, assuming that
per-component conventions within Commons are agreed to, and - most
importantly - documented. The latter is what is currently lacking.

> One other reason for maintaining the old conventions other
> than previous
> developer bias is that there are older turbine versions that
> still have
> the fileupload service embedded into their source tree.  It makes it a
> bit easier to backport bugfixes if the two codebases follow the same
> convention.

This is a good point, and one which has not been made before (at least to my
knowledge).

> I'm -0 on the changes to use Sun's block styles.  I would like the old
> style to remain, but I can live with screen real estate saving
>
> } else {
>
> if Martin prefers strict adherence to sun's guidelines.  I'm
> unsure what
> the benefits of such a format are other than to save paper for people
> that like to print out source code, if someone could give me a better
> reason to end and begin a blocks on the same line, it would make it
> easier for me to accept.  I'm all for saving paper, but I generally do
> it by not printing out source code.

:-) Not printing is *good*! :-)

Really, I'm not going to argue about where the braces should be. I want to
reiterate that the changes I made to FileUpload were because I perceived the
Sun conventions to be a Commons (and Jakarta) standard, not because I happen
to prefer them (even if that's mildly true ;).

If the concensus in Commons is that coding conventions should be allowed to
be defined by each component, that's fine with me. I just want to see it
written down somewhere that I can refer to.

--
Martin Cooper

> john mcnally
>

> --