commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Cooper" <martin.coo...@tumbleweed.com>
Subject RE: Coding conventions in Commons
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2002 22:40:04 GMT

[snip]
> > If I recall correctly, when we started commons, the
> > intent was to let
> > components choose their own way...
>
> Yes, we've definitely covered this ground several
> times in the past, including the discussions over the
> charter.
>
> Define the benefit of adopting coding conventions that
> are not preferred by the programmers maintaining the
> component.  Inconvenience for inconvenience's sake?

Ah, well that's actually a different statement from the ones that have been
made so far. What I've heard so far is people wanting to retain the
conventions according to the original source of the code. But the people
currently maintaining the code in Commons may not have been the same people
who did so in its original home, and they may have a different preference
when it comes to coding conventions.

I don't think we'd want to go down that path. The maintainers can change
over time, and I doubt we'd want to see the conventions changing each time.
The conventions should be defined for the project, and should stay that way
(unless there is a later agreement to change them for some reason).

--
Martin Cooper