commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Cooper" <martin.coo...@tumbleweed.com>
Subject RE: Coding conventions in Commons
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2002 22:23:06 GMT

By the same token, it would be OK for us to decide on a different voting
system for Commons? After all, the decision making process is only a
guideline too. (Just kidding :)

If it's just a guideline, then perhaps it would be better to use "should" in
place of "must". The use of "must" sure sounds like a rule to me.

> > Note that, by not explicitly selecting an alternative
> coding convention,
> > Commons has implicitly elected to follow the Sun coding
> conventions, per the
> > Jakarta guidelines. That means all code in Commons, not
> just some of it.
>
> No thanks.
>
> If I recall correctly, when we started commons, the intent was to let
> components choose their own way...

I'm OK with that, but it needs to be documented, because the default, as
stated in the guidelines, is that all code must conform to the Sun
conventions. The reference to those conventions from the charter, combined
with the absence of any additional statement to the contrary, only
emphasises that. Someone coming along later (or, in my case, not paying
close enough attention when Commons was created :) could quite legitimately
assume, from what is currently written down, that all Commons code must
conform to the Sun conventions.

--
Martin Cooper