commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Tim Moore" <tmo...@blackboard.com>
Subject RE: The exegesis
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 16:42:01 GMT
I'm no committer, just an interested observer/user of commons
components.

Something that concerns me with some of the recent developments in
commons and with the patterns project in particular is that it sometimes
seems to be putting the cart before the horse.  That is: it's defining
interfaces and expecting other Jakarta projects to retrofit their code
to implement them, when there don't seem to be any classes that actually
USE the interfaces.

Before adding lifecycle interfaces to patterns, please explain what
classes will be using Initializable and the other interfaces.  If you're
going to be adding lifecycle management classes to patterns or another
commons project, that seems to be turning it into a framework.  My
understanding is that the purpose of commons is simply to provide
various "grey box" components that can be plugged into other
applications and frameworks, and that providing an entire application
framework of its own is explicitly NOT in the scope.

On the other hand, if you're not adding lifecycle management classes to
commons, then what do you gain from having the interfaces there?

IMO, commons seems to work best when one Jakarta project sees a
component in another one that they want to reuse, and that component is
factored out to be independent of the original project.  My experience
has been that when people try to create components with the intent of
reuse without having an actual concrete use first, they end up creating
something overly complex that doesn't really suit anyone.

Phone 202-463-4860 ext. 258 / Fax 202-463-4863