commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Waldhoff, Rodney" <rwald...@us.britannica.com>
Subject RE: [Collections] primitive pkg - was "Release potential?"
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:34:00 GMT

As I said before:

> Ideally we could now look at that list and figure out the
> parts we don't really need right now, and just make sure
> that our implementation of the parts we do need don't
> preclude this overall design, rather than creating four
> layers of abstraction where we currently have at most
> two implementations.

It's one thing to say "here's the best design for my current needs", or even
"here's what I imagine to be my future needs and I'll make sure not to
preclude that", it's another to add 13 new interfaces because we think we
might someday fill out the rest of that tree.  I'd be very suprised that
adding all 13 of these types is the simplest solution to our current needs
that doesn't preclude future growth, though it may be close enough.

> Future committers (probably yourselves) will thank you for [it]

Only if we've guessed right, and there's a non-zero chance that we haven't.