commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Sanders" <ssand...@nextance.com>
Subject RE: [OT] Newcomers
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 03:28:11 GMT
I am going to agree with both Morgan and Geir here.  I came to the
Commons project to help STOP rewriting code I had written before several
times.  My idea on the intent of Commons was to share code across
projects, including but never limited to Jakarta projects. The idea that
some code can be extracted from an existing project (Jakarta or
otherwise) for consumption in another project with similar needs is an
absolutley great idea, and really the only way that software development
can scale to do bigger and better things.

I would have never signed up to just create APIs for other Jakarta
projects.  I came here to write and use code that I need, not code that
Tomcat needs.  But I also cannot turn a blind eye to Tomcat's needs.  I
am not going to go rip something out of Digester because I thought it
was a good idea or that the design was bad.  Again, I am here to write
code in small, discreet, digestable (pun intended) chunks that ANY
project could be able to reuse.  And yes, the majority of the committers
has the final say.  This is Apache after all, not some dictatorship.

My name is Scott Sanders, and I too am a newcomer.

Scott