commons-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [logging] Internationalization of log messages
Date Mon, 26 Aug 2002 15:20:19 GMT

Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>>Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:50:50 +0200
>>From: Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org>
>>To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
>>Subject: Re: [logging] Internationalization of log messages

>>>Now there is a very interesting point. As I see it "normal users", would
>>>normally not be involved with logging at all. Instead other means should
>>>be used for communicating problems to the users. At the point where
>>>a user actively examines the log files he, to me, indicates that he
>>>is a power user, developer, ... or is at least likely to develop into
>>>such. People in this category will normally be competent in
>>>english (or else they will have many other problems, e.g. reading this mailing
>>>list, getting good literature etc.)
>>
>>This is the conclusion we have come to @ the Cocoon project.
>>One thing is Logging, another is user information.
>>

> This conclusion assumes that system administrators are not "users" worthy
> of being paid attention to.

Never said that.

 > Limiting i18n to only the people executing an
> app (versus those installing and maintaining it) is way to narrow for my
> taste.

Again, never said that.

> The assumption that everyone in the latter category will be familiar with
> English is totally bogus.

?

Ok, I haven't been clear enough.

The ones that just need English are the developers of the system.

The site users, definately need informative localized error messages,
but usually it's the webapp that must supply nice screens, and remain
consistent with the l&f of the site.
The i18n is defined in the app.

Sysadmins are basically in between, hence they will be more near to the
users if less experienced, and to developers if more experienced.

Now, the messages that they will have to cope with are not log dumps
or Webapp infos, but the server error screens, like the white and
blue ones that Tomcat has taken (cool :-) from Cocoon.

*These* can be localized, and as I said I want the notification package
to attempt to do just that.

message --(  notification (i18n, faqs, templates)  --(  logging

Basically this package would decouple the creation of a more meaningful
error message from the creation of the log entry.

A server using "notification" can decide where it wants the i18n to
happen and how, along with other beautifications of the message or
templating.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -