commons-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [logging] Internationalization of log messages
Date Mon, 26 Aug 2002 08:50:50 GMT

Eriksson, Michael wrote:

>>At my company (Sun) -- and I wouldn't be surprised if it were true at many
>>others -- our internal software development standards for i18n are
>>reasonably close to what these guidelines say, but we still use a MUST for
>>all log messages designed to be seen by normal users.
>

> Now there is a very interesting point. As I see it "normal users", would
> normally not be involved with logging at all. Instead other means should
> be used for communicating problems to the users. At the point where
> a user actively examines the log files he, to me, indicates that he
> is a power user, developer, ... or is at least likely to develop into
> such. People in this category will normally be competent in
> english (or else they will have many other problems, e.g. reading this mailing
> list, getting good literature etc.)

This is the conclusion we have come to @ the Cocoon project.
One thing is Logging, another is user information.

Sometimes, though, it's important that the machine can give a reasonable
user message, maybe localized, using also the information from the logs.

For this it's possible that giving unique ids to error messages can make
it easier to localise it and maybe even show the user a FAQ about it.

I am going to commit the package we have in Cocoon for the notification
of the errors, because it seems that Tomcat has taken code from it and
it could be a good way of making a common package, and would like to add
this feature; I'll post a brief explanation to the list after the commit.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -