commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael A. Smith" <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] (3) XxxUtilsConstructors last chance
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2002 23:27:23 GMT
Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> I am not aware of any -1 to the CVS commit. There have been -1's to votes,
> but not IIRC to the commit.
>
> A lot of the discussion has come because Velocity used a sandbox component
> and expected it to be stable.
>
> For the StringUtils case, it seems to be proven that it was used in
> production. As such I feel that I have no choice but to support a public
> constructor (for backward compatability reasons).

The way I look at things, any product using an unreleased sandbox
component has bound themselves to dealing with potential instability in
  some form.  That is not to say that unreleased components do not need
to keep backwards compatibility in mind, but

My recommendation (with regards to the constructor issue) is to:
1. Put the public constructor back on StringUtils.
2. Add a bean wrapper, and deprecate the public constructor stating that
the constructor will be removed for the 1.0 release of StringUtils.
3. Cut a Beta-2 or Beta-3 (or whatever it should be) of the Lang
component.
4. Remove the public constructor.
5. Release 1.0 Lang

Those that depend on the public constructor can migrate away from the
beta-1 or beta1.1 release to the 1.0 release at their leasure through
the use of the Beta-2.

michael