commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael A. Smith" <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] Newcomers
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2002 22:56:37 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> 'deprecated public' isn't a compromise if you take it away later.  If you
> have no intention of taking it away, why deprecate?

deprecation does not mean "We're going to remove this".  It means "This
isn't the preferred method of using this".

> By putting into commons, they *explicitly* 'relinquish ownership' of the
> codebase - however, what comes with the codebase are the committers from the
> donating project, as well as the userbase of that project.  You can't get a
> better deal.

agreed.

> What you seem to be saying is "Thanks - we'll take it from here..." and that
> should give anyone pause before donating or using commons software.

That's not really what Stephen is saying.  What he's saying is that
those initial committers that came with the initial codebase are
abandoning the codebase and are not maintaining it, while others like
Stephen and myself have stepped in to maintain that code.  In a sense,
we're filling in the holes the initial developers left when they stopped
participating with the codebase.

Commons is not a dumping ground.  When people "donate" their code to
commons, they should still actively maintain it.  Yet, that hasn't
really been the case for all the components.  Luckily, there *are*
interested people that have stepped up to maintain those components.

regards,
michael