commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael A. Smith" <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] (re-vote) XxxUtils constructors
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2002 03:56:49 GMT
Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> Personally I really like this idea. No misuse of the deprecated word, no
> subclass issues, and who cares about the memory.

This is probably a side conversation, but I don't think the manner in
which deprecated has been discussed is really a "misuse".  Deprecated
itself means "to express disapproval of" or "play down".  With the
amount of dissent found here about having a public constructor, I would
think "expressing disapproval" of making it public is perfectly
justified.  It is not recommended for anyone to construct an instance of
a static utility class, thus deprecated.

I've expressed my views on deprecation here once a few times before.
Here's one example:
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgId=367975

although I am just one of many around here...  :)

michael