commons-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [daemon] Moving to commons proper
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2002 12:21:56 GMT
costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Remy Maucherat wrote:
>

>>>Deamon.getDeamon() to get the controller.
>>>
>>>But I don't think deamon should be used this way - JSR77 is
>>>one way to start/stop components, or whatever the launched
>>>program wants to use ( avalon or any other API )
>>
>>I'm not completely sure the controller is needed.
>

> If we're not sure - it may be better to just remove it and
> add it back if there's a real need.
>
>>>From my point of view the functionality that the daemon provides is:
> - start the program
> - optionally support the split-initialization ( i.e. init/chuid/start).
> It must be optional - the pattern used in most cases is that the
> daemon explicitely does chuid.
> - optionally support passing signals. Again, applications may have their
> own signal handler.
> - optionally support stop. The shutdown hook is an 'official' java
> solution, but doesn't work in some cases
>
> It also provides Windows service functionality - but that's also
> provided by a dozen other wrappers, and the app should be able to
> use anything it wants.
>

>>Ok. What you propose looks ok, and it seems it would provide similar
>>functionality. Other than the controller, the interface is so trivial it
>>is indeed not needed. And DaemonLoader should be enhanced to be more
>>flexible with what it can control.
>>
>>Do you have time to implement what you propose ?
>

> I certainly don't have time, but I can try to find some :-)
> I haven't looked at the code - it shouldn't be very difficult.

The Java code is trivial. The C code is less trivial, but quite easy to
work with (it even works with Cygwin, so ...).

> If you can take a look at doing Context initialization in
> background ( I'm completely lost with the JNDI resources -
> I can't find how to bind them after I create a thread ) - I'll
> have more time :-)

There's a StandardContext.bindThread and unbindThread that you can
probably use as is, and which bind whatever is needed.

So we're doing the background init thing ? I thought that was still up
in the air.

Remy