commons-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [daemon] Moving to commons proper
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2002 17:47:10 GMT

scolebourne@btopenworld.com wrote:
>> from:    Remy Maucherat <remm@apache.org>
>>costinm@covalent.net wrote:
>>
>>>Deamon is yet-another lifecycle interface. I don't think this is right for
>>>[pattern], nor [discovery] - and same arguments apply to daemon.
>>>
>>>I'll change my vote to  1 if the interface is droped and introspection
>>>is used.
>>
>>Ok, but the Daemon interface isn't that trivial beacuse of the init
>>method (it allows getting a callback to the controller).
>

> Costin, surely all Daemon is doing is defining an interface for programmers to use, the
same as discovery. IMO this has been normal Java programming practice since day one.

> Talking about replacing interfaces with introspection is really strange, and very non-Java.
IMO Java defines the contact between one package (Daemon/Discovery) and its user by an _interface_.

> I feel I must be missing something here (I know I don't understand Daemon in detail).

With what you say I agree, and I'm sure Costin knows, don't you think? ;-)

If he is saying it there is sure another motive, which is IIUC that

1) a "discovery" package should "discover", not "create".
2) a package that creates objects in "commons" should be of "common"
use, mostly to projects that already have their system to do it; it
should be used behind existing systems, not as a replacement.

As for Deamon, its interfaces are quite specific to the package itself,
since AFAIK no other project has Deamon capabilities, not I think that
any project would use the o.a.c.daemon.* interfaces for uses other than
in Deamon.

On the other hand, the JDK already has lifecycle interfaces and Event
ones that can be used, without problem, like Runnable, Event,
EventListener, etc.

I'm sure that 90% of these projects can do with them.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -