commons-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: StringUtils constructor is private
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2002 14:54:06 GMT
Steven Caswell wrote:
> I stand corrected on the Velocity issue. I'm still -1 on a public
> constructor because:
>
> a) I believe the developer should be scolded for trying to create an
> instance of a class that clearly is not intended for construction

Scolded? Ha.
This I don't like to hear. If you have a really better alternative
suggest it, but I don't see why if people will use static methods on
instances the sky will fall down, etc, etc.

I don't like it as well, but I don't see any *danger* in it.

If you can show me a concrete example of possible danger, we will all
understand and you will help us all be better programmers.
If not, Velocity just does the most easy thing with the least hassle,
and I don't see the problem.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -