commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stéphane MOR <stephane_lis...@yahoo.fr>
Subject Re: [JJAR] using maven's repo...
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 12:23:53 GMT
James Strachan wrote:

> [...]
Hi,

I think that the repository will contain the project.xml file
for each of the projects. This way we could get each project's
dependencies easily. There is a goal in Maven called deploy:pom
which was done for this purpose, I believe.

An advantage of this is that you can tell that A depends on B,
and if B depends on C, you get that info from B's repository's
project.xml, and you get C for free. We've been talking about
that and refered to it as "direct dependencies" or "first level
dependencies", or again "inherited dependencies", which is
something that may be really helpful regarding the commons for
instance, where inter-dependency is quite high.

A few graphs on a set of projects showed that for instance, when
Velocity was specified on more than 12 projects (out of ~100),
with the dependency inheritence, it was really only needed by
2 of them, those "giving Velocity" to all the projects that
depended on them.
Log4j, Dom4J, commons-beanutils are other good examples of the
benefits of using this mecanism.

(You can find two comparison graphs here :
http://www.qmvmo.com/maven-dev/deps-graphs.tar.gz)

As for JJAR, I don't know how that sort of things could fit,
but I guess that both dependencies models can be merged / adapted
to each other so that JJAR users can use Maven repos and Maven
users can use JJAR repos...

>I think this is happening with the 'reactor' stuff in Maven though I don't
>know enough about it yet to go into much more detail. But I should think
>this is quite easy to do, maybe as a standard part of the Maven build/deploy
>process.

Yep, that's definitely a Reactor thing, even if it needs to be a
little clearer (what should it do ? what does it already do ?).

Stéphane