commons-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DBCP/LANG
Date Sun, 11 Aug 2002 15:38:20 GMT
costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> First issue: there is now a dependency of DBCP on lang. It doesn't apear
> in proposal, and I don't remember any vote on this.
>
> AFAIK [lang] has not been released - that causes problems for projects
> using dbcp. ( tomcat will probably have to either wait for a 1.0 release
> of lang or drop use of dbcp ).
>
> I took a look at the use, there are few
> ObjectUtils.equals() - which is a simple equal with checks for nulls.
> And there is  deserialize() that just wrap the original exception
> in a runtime exception - a very bad thing IMHO.
>
> Regarding the wrapper exception - NestableException - I find it very
> wrong.
>
> Having a common tool to manipluate exceptions would be great - but
> I don't think this is the one.
> There is a very common pattern ( getCause() ) used in most exceptions,
> and there is already code to use introspection to walk the exception
> hierarchy. Introducing a new type and expecting projects to change their
> APIs ( exceptions are part of the API ) to use it is wrong - especially
> when there are solutions without tight coupling.

Now, following up from the other mail you wrote, this makes prefect sense.

Avalon already has a CascadingException, many other projects have one,
but I didn't see these projects take part in the Nestable proposal.

Also, JDK1.4 has its own, so NestableException is obsolete before being
born.

I'm +1 for removing NestableException from lang, in favor of utulity
methods.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -