commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Ortwin Glück" <ortwin.glu...@nose.ch>
Subject Re: [HttpClient] Dependancy on JSSE
Date Fri, 02 Aug 2002 09:27:13 GMT
Attached is a patch that isolates HttpClient from
javax.net.SocketFactory. It looks a little weird but I can't think of a
better way. Maybe some of you see a nicer alternative.

Odi

P.S. I am on vacation for the next two weeks. So I unsubscribed from the
mailing lists for that time. Don't expect me to read any follow-ups to
this posting. However you can contact me directly during the next hour
(until 12.30 GMDST+1). Bye now.

Jeff Dever wrote:
> I'll have to agree that the ssl runtime dependency should be eliminated for the
> reasons outlined by others on this thread.
>
> It looks like the dependency was caused by a commit at:
> Tue Jul 23 14:38:31 2002 UTC (9 days, 2 hours ago)
> In a patch contributed by Ortwin and committed by dIon.
>
> Both HttpClient 1.52 has a new SSLSocketFactory private datamember plus some
> changes in HttpConnection and HttpMultiClient.
>
> dIon,
> I know that you are working on the HttpClient/HttpMultiClient merger.  See any
> way to keep ssl objects out of the new top level class?  Perhaps pushed down so
> that only HttpConnection is ssl aware and can more easily be protected from
> runtime dependencies?
>
> Ortwin,
> this is your patch.  Nobody wants to back it out as it represents excellent
> functionality.  Can you see how to isolate the runtime dependency so that ssl is
> only required at compiletime?

  NOSE applied intelligence ag      [perspectix-nose digital b.i]
                                    [www]      http://www.nose.ch
  ortwin glück                      [email] ortwin.glueck@nose.ch
  hardturmstrasse 171               [office]      +41-1-277 57 35
  8005 zurich                       [fax]         +41-1-277 57 12
  switzerland