commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [logging] Internationalization of log messages
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 20:19:39 GMT

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Richard Sitze wrote:

> Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 15:07:42 -0500
> From: Richard Sitze <rsitze@us.ibm.com>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: [logging] Internationalization of log messages
>
> A change was made to the users guide this morning, taking the "MUST" out.
> The general guideline remains and is qualified by the term "Enterprise",
> as in "Enterprise Ready".
>
> If you want to develop software that is Enterprise Ready, you should give
> serious consideration to NLS enabled messages.  If you don't, then you
> have more choice.  Realize also that the end-users will also have choice,
> and consider what their criteria are for their choices.
>
> If you NLS enable then:
>
> a) you can use it.
> b) you can drop it with minimal effort (remove translated files, leaving a
> default message file).
>
> The reverse is NOT true - if it's not NLS enabled you have no choice.
>
> <ras>

At my company (Sun) -- and I wouldn't be surprised if it were true at many
others -- our internal software development standards for i18n are
reasonably close to what these guidelines say, but we still use a MUST for
all log messages designed to be seen by normal users.  In practice, that
means anything logged at level INFO or higher.  Debugging and trace
messages MAY be localized, but that's not required.

Whether the message normally appears on the console or not isn't
relevant to our perspective on this, because that is simply a
configuration detail of how logging is set up, and can change at the whim
of the application deployer.

> Richard A. Sitze
> IBM WebSphere WebServices Development

Craig