commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [lang] System properties
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 16:58:33 GMT

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Steve Downey wrote:

> Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:42:14 -0400
> From: Steve Downey <steve.downey@netfolio.com>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: [lang] System properties
>
> I think trying to make these distinctions will end up in a morass of fine
> differences without utility. SunOS is how Solaris identifies itself,
> although the version numbers aren't the same. Solaris 7, for example, is
> SunOS 5.7.
>
> Even with what's there now, what does IS_LINUX say that IS_UNIX doesn't?
> That is, what action could you take on the basis of IS_LINUX being true,
> that you couldn't with just IS_UNIX being true.

To make something like this more generally useful and scalable, it might
be better to abstract the notion of OS identification by providing a
pluggable interface that returns a "processor class identifier" or
something.  The default implementation could be what's originally
proposed, but people wouldn't be stuck with it.

The same sort of thing happens in the web app world when it comes to the
"User-Agent" header.  There are lots of libraries around that attempt to
classify these strings into general categories, but no such scheme is
going to be universally applicable.

Craig