commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] (re-vote) XxxUtils constructors
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 17:09:05 GMT

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Juozas Baliuka wrote:

> Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 18:53:56 +0200
> From: Juozas Baliuka <baliuka@centras.lt>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: [VOTE] (re-vote) XxxUtils constructors
>

> Hi,
> I do not believe somebody will prove "final" or "extendable" is "better".
> I think we need to release things "as it was" at this time and to pay more
> attention
> before to promote something to commons proper.

Completely aside from the "better design" discussion, one thing to note is
that "final" offers a performance benefit -- the JVM (and HotSpot or
whatever)  knows that this class or method cannot be extended, so it can
generate calls to that class which execute faster -- similar to the
difference between virtual and non-virtual methods in C++.

Craig