commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: development
Date Fri, 16 Aug 2002 02:43:20 GMT

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Prabhat Kumar wrote:

> Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 22:33:40 -0700
> From: Prabhat Kumar <prabhatk@ameritech.net>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: development
>
> I was wondering if I could contribute in any way towards this project. I am
> a Java programmer of moderate ability and use Struts, Ant and Log4j at my
> daytime job. We are currently looking at using the commons pool package at
> work.
>
> The "How do I contribute" section on the commons page says that you need any
> contributions. So let me know.
>
> Prabhat.

Hello Prabhat,

The best way to contribute is to identify for yourself things that you
think are broken, or could be improved, and then propose a patch.  A
couple of ways to identify possible candidates:

* Have you used a commons API, and wished it would do something
  a little more?  or a little different?  In open source circles,
  people often get involved initially by "scratching your own itch"
  as the saying goes.

* Have you called up the bug reports <http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/>
  for the Commons project, and seen any bugs that you can create a
  patch for?

* Have you checked your favorite package's TODO or STATUS files
  for things that have already been thought about, but just are
  not done yet?

Craig