commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Commons Core (was RE: [pattern][lang] Cross dependecy)
Date Fri, 09 Aug 2002 23:14:04 GMT

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 22:25:06 +0100
> From: Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@btopenworld.com>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Commons Core (was RE: [pattern][lang] Cross dependecy)
>
> > From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <craigmcc@apache.org>
> > > From: Juozas Baliuka <baliuka@centras.lt>
> > > Yes, it is impossible to find "good" packages for "core",
> > > but I think we can find some better name for "small" packages in single
> > > "medium" project,
> > > I do not propose any "supper common project", just merge some dependant
> code
> > > .
> > >

> > It would be a pretty easy mechanical exercise to produce a
> > "commons-combo.jar" that just incorporated the latest released version of
> > all the packages in commons proper (plus created integrated Javadocs --
> > that would be pretty useful just by itself).  Such a thing could be
> > updated whenever any particular component package did a release.
> >
> > That way, we wouldn't need to fight any political battles over what is
> > "core" and what is not :-).
>
> I am in favour of a single 'core' / 'combo' jar file at some point. However,
> we are not yet at that point. IMO the best approach is to work as
> independent projects, producing the merged jar as an additional jar at the
> end. Anything else will cause us to lose focus.

Oh, I agree totally that the projects remain independent.  It's just an
added checklist item for the release manager of a package such that,
whenever you do a release, you also cut an updated version of the combo
jar.  The combo doesn't have to exist as a "project" or anything -- it is
just a useful artifact that makes downloading easier for people that use
lots of commons packages.

Maintaining the script that creates the combo distribution would be a
shared responsibility of all commons committers, just as maintaining the
sources for the web pages is today.

> Stephen

Craig