commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [JJAR] New features
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 16:26:55 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicolaken@apache.org>
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
> > The Mavenites are like anyone else here, free to use what they want.
>
> I never talked about the Maven community, but replied to precise persons.

Well it was me you replied to. Since both Geir and Jason, the folks who
started JJAR and Maven and have both described their histories, quite why
you're throwing NIH at me is beyond me.

> I won't talk any further into this, and will just continue to do my
> stuff by choosing what I deem best, as always.

Great.

> I'm just sad that collaboration is so hard to attain here at Jakarta.

I don't think it is, all things considered. I think the past year we've seen
lots of collaboration across Jakarta, from commons, avalon, turbine, struts,
taglibs, catus, velocity, cocoon and much more to name but a few. Alot of
the old divides seem to be lifting.

> I don't know who decided to leave the JJAR effort in the first place,
> and I don't want to know, but it's sad nevertheless that for such a
> simple idea there has been a "battle".

See the recent mails by Geir and Jason that explains it all. After todays
mails from Geir & Jason, it seems likely that JJAR and Maven will work
together very nicely.

> It all boils down to one issue.
>
> Some people think that it's good practice to cut-n-paste code from other
> Apache projects, change package names, and ignore anyone that has a
> different idea (wanna send a patch?).
>
> I don't, that's all.

OK. Do you think you could give me a clue as to what you're talking about?
Since I'm the one you NIH-ed, I'd appreciate some pointer to the project
thats upset you as I tend to use and work on quite a few different projects
and I'm still not much good at reading minds.

James
-------
http://james.weblogger.com/