commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [JJAR] New features
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 09:39:23 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Geir Magnusson Jr." <geirm@adeptra.com>
> On 8/12/02 1:41 AM, "James Strachan" <james_strachan@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Great
> > for development though this mechanism probably shouldn't be used for
actual
> > releases though.
>
> I saw that - it's pretty cool.
>
> I meant refresh the versions you currently have, mainly for the case where
> production version of something like a dependency gets superceded by an
> upgrade for some reason.

Yes - whenever the snapshot is updated and you do a Maven build, your local
repo is updated (if you're online) with the latest snapshot from the remote
repo. Though typically snapshot builds will ultimately used for nightly
builds of CVS HEAD. So maybe some alias like LATEST which could be used for
the latest release?

Maybe some kinda wildcards could be used for dependency versions. Like 1.2.*
for any release starting with 1.2.0 or 1.2.4> for any release from 1.2.4
onwards or something? Then as new releases are made there's no need to hunt
around your dependency files and keep them up to date. I'm sure both Maven
and JJAR could benefit from something like this. Maybe even some kinda
Ant-style includes/excludes patterns?

<dependency>
  <id>ant</id>
  <includes>1.4.1>, 1.5.*</includes>