commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>
Subject Re: [JJAR] using maven's repo...
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 14:28:12 GMT
On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 10:22, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> On 8/12/02 10:16 AM, "Jason van Zyl" <jason@zenplex.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 08:33, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> >
> >> 2) You can insulate people who need dependency information from the format
> >> of the project.xml - so you can change the project.xml format on a
> >> per-project basis (i.e. Things can evolve rather than have to jump all at
> >> once...) and the consumer of the repo don't need to know that.
> >
> > Sure, then they are just dependent on another format. What's the
> > difference really.
>
> They are dependent upon a format specific to the need, a comprehensive
> package and dependency format, rather than a format that is really meant for
> something else, the Maven project description.

That's exactly what a Maven descriptor is except that it is more
comprehensive given that it will take into dependencies that are non-JAR
artifacts. Because all project information changes across versions,
including dependencies, we will use each project.xml file used for a
release to produce the graph where JJAR puts everything in one file.
Same thing but I believe Maven's format will be easier to manage given
that each project maintain's its own dependencies. But something JJAR
could use would be actually manageable using a Reactor i.e. we can
easily sweep across each project processing each descriptor used for
each version to produce what JJAR needs.

> --
> Geir Magnusson Jr.
> Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.
> geirm@adeptra.com