commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>
Subject Re: [JJAR] using maven's repo...
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 14:16:20 GMT
On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 08:33, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> On 8/12/02 8:23 AM, "St├ęphane MOR" <stephane_listes@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>
> > I think that the repository will contain the project.xml file
> > for each of the projects. This way we could get each project's
> > dependencies easily. There is a goal in Maven called deploy:pom
> > which was done for this purpose, I believe.
> >
> > An advantage of this is that you can tell that A depends on B,
> > and if B depends on C, you get that info from B's repository's
> > project.xml, and you get C for free. We've been talking about
> > that and refered to it as "direct dependencies" or "first level
> > dependencies", or again "inherited dependencies", which is
> > something that may be really helpful regarding the commons for
> > instance, where inter-dependency is quite high.
>
> I think you should glom together into one place - maybe have some sort of
> sweeper that periodically (or upon checkin) rebuilds a single descriptor
> from the project.xml's that describes everything.

This is exactly what will be done with the share db of project
information. We could certainly produce an xml file in the jjar style.
That's not hard at all, but it will likely get large and I was going to
try and use JISP or Xindice to try and speed things up. This will
ultimately allow us to only specify direct dependencies in Maven, which
has been the plan all along.

> Why?
>
> 1) It makes it easy to just take one file and digest it.

Yup.

> 2) You can insulate people who need dependency information from the format
> of the project.xml - so you can change the project.xml format on a
> per-project basis (i.e. Things can evolve rather than have to jump all at
> once...) and the consumer of the repo don't need to know that.

Sure, then they are just dependent on another format. What's the
difference really.

> 3) You can add other inputs into the dependency graph other than project.xml
> files, and again, the repo consumer doesn't need to know.

Sure, that's possible.

> > As for JJAR, I don't know how that sort of things could fit,
> > but I guess that both dependencies models can be merged / adapted
> > to each other so that JJAR users can use Maven repos and Maven
> > users can use JJAR repos...
>
> I think that's easily possible.

Very easy I think.

> geir