commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>
Subject Re: StringUtils constructor is private
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 13:37:12 GMT
On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 01:44, Henri Yandell wrote:

> I don't see many reasons why not. I should be able to easily sneak out a
> replacement jar for the beta without making a song and dance about it,
> it's not something that will break on anyone.
>
> A bigger question, is why does it break things?

We many tools that use velocity that specify a set of tools in
properties file. The tools (texen, dvsl, torque) simply instantiate
objects for the toolbox based on the contents of a properties file:

toolbox.tool.strings = org.apache.commons.lang.StringUtils

Which doesn't work with a private constructor.

> I'm not a proponent of
> privatising constructors without something to protect so am the easiest
> person to convince, however if there's some kind of common tool which can
> only handle instance methods [and statics by pretending they're instance]
> then we should modify all Utils to have constructors unless absolutely
> necessary.
>
> Is it a velocity thing?

Well people often put utility classes into a velocity context to perform
basic string, number manipulation. So in this case, yes, it's a velocity
thing.

> Hen
>
> On 11 Aug 2002, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can this be made public again? I upgrade a ton of things in Maven to use
> > the b1 and it broke things all over the place. I have used
> > StringUtils/Strings for a long time a tool inside a velocity context and
> > the private constructor puts a bit of a damper on this. Can we make this
> > public again?
> >
> > --
> > jvz.
> >
> > Jason van Zyl
> > jason@apache.org
> > http://tambora.zenplex.org
> >
> > In short, man creates for himself a new religion of a rational
> > and technical order to justify his work and to be justified in it.
> >
> >   -- Jacques Ellul, The Technological Society
> >

> > --
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@apache.org