commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>
Subject Re: [JJAR] New features
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 12:22:53 GMT
On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 03:02, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Ah, NIH is your mantra it seems.

Do you even know where JJAR comes from and what started it?

I asked Geir a long time ago for a topo sort that I could use in the
first version of Maven to sort dependencies. It grew from there but the
impetus was a request from me. At the same time I asked Markus Dahm for
a graph package he was working and this was subsequently replaced with
code provided by David Dixon-Peugh. What ensued was a dispute between
Geir and myself about having a separate dependency descriptor.

At any rate I wanted the dependency mechanism to be based on a solid
graph package and David Dixon-Peugh has made a super contract-based
package that is thoroughly tested (though the docs need some work).

So the NIH comment isn't appreciated and isn't justified. I was
definitely involved when it came about but chose to use a mechanism
based on a single descriptor and a graph package.

> --
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@apache.org