commons-dev mailing list archives

From John McNally <jmcna...@collab.net>
Subject Re: Question
Date Fri, 02 Aug 2002 15:46:19 GMT
First of all, use better subjects.  Your email came pretty close to
going directly to my trash and I'm sure it will for others that might
have a good answer.

dbcp contains several components useful for building a connection pool
(cp).  It also contains a couple cp implementations.  The provider for
physical connections for the pools in dbcp is either a Driver or a
non-pooling DataSource.  For example, probably the most often used pool,
BasicDataSource, uses a Driver on the backend and presents a DataSource
front.

In jdbc2 and jdbc3, vendors should supply a ConnectionPoolDataSource
(CPDS).  CP's then use this as the source of physical connections.  The
jdbc2pool package uses this source.  jdbc2pool package also provides a
CPDS implementation that adapts a Driver, so that jdbc2pool can be used
with jdbc implementations that have not implemented the latest specs.

The code from jdbc2pool will be moved into dbcp.  I was asked to wait
till after a 1.0 dbcp release.  I may ask to revisit that, but have been
too busy to worry about it.

john mcnally