commons-dev mailing list archives

From John Keyes <j...@mac.com>
Subject [CLI] some thoughts
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:46:55 GMT
I have been mucking about with some changes that would reflect
some of the ideas Berin has mentioned over the last couple of
weeks.

I do like this new model of processing Options but I would like
to also maintain the previous model as I like the idea of the
flexibility.

So from my experiments I can support the current API and also
support the new style suggested i.e. the Avalon approach.

The only casualty of this change is the withArgs( int ) method,
which allows the user to specify the number of arguments that
an Option can have.  This feature was only added last week and
I added it because I misunderstood the request from Berin for
support of the property style Option values.

The withCharSeparator method on OptionBuilder can support this.
Instead of using withArgs( int ) the withCharSeparator can be
used to exclusively process these properties.  The default char
separator is '='.  This can be changed for path properties ':'
or ';'.

The new implementation would also mean the code that splits the
option values now resides in the Option as opposed to the individual
parsers.

When this is complete I think we are set for a beta release.

-John K