commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Newcomers
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2002 23:30:37 GMT
From: <costinm@covalent.net>
> On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> > areas (the other is Avalon Excalibur) and they are gradually trying to
move
> > code into commons. To create a third (a) is a bad idea, and
>
> I sugest you try to become a commiter on avalon excalibur and contribute
> your code there. AFAIK creating this kind of 'perfect' design fits
> very well in the avalon scope.

(Not that you're trying to get rid of me of course)

You seem to believe that I strive for perfection at all costs. Actually, I'm
just trying to ensure that the APIs in commons are professional and high
quality. Utility code is the foundation for any program. It needs to be more
stable, and more right than other code, just as with the foundations of a
house.

At no stage have I expressed any desire to break backwards compatability
with a released API. I felt content to change StringUtils because it was in
the SANDBOX and I had previously checked that we were going to break
compatability. Since it now seems that StringUtils was in wide use, I feel
obligated to support a public constructor.

The debate in this thread is about whether other jakarta projects is a
special case when considering users of commons APIs. You believe that they
are a special case, and commons should mostly do what the projects want. I
accept some special case pleading, but not if it is jakarta only. This
shouldn't actually make any practical difference, as if you can make a good
argument it shouldn't matter what project you are from.

> >(b) won't be allowed by the PMC.
>
> If such a project would help commons regain it's focus - I won't opose it.
> And I think neither Geir. I won't use or contribute to such project.
>
> I think that a change in the charter of commons may also require
> some PMC vote, and a majority vote on commons first. You can
> make a proposal if you want.

I haven't re-read the commons charter today to see what parts might need
changing. I fully accept that it might need PMC approval. Thats why I want
to convince you, Geir and others that you can benefit from 'loosening the
reins a little'.

Stephen