commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Newcomers
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2002 22:13:32 GMT
From: "Ola Berg" <ola.berg@arkitema.se>
> I suggest that:
>
> 1) I and other newcomers change our attitude
>
> 2) The wording in the guidelines for the commons project are changed as to
more clearly reflect the original intention of the project. Since I wasn\'t
the only one misunderstanding this, I think a clarification is justified.

Actually Ola, I would suggest the opposite. That the charter should be
amended to emphasise commons right to exist as a top level jakarta component
in its own right. Give commons the mandate to do what it is perfectly placed
to do, build high quality low level libraries for the Java community, of
which jakarta is a part.

Any other jakarta project should be thinking of commons as a black box with
an API, just like they use JUnit. Other Jakarta projects then become
users/customers, not owners.

(This is why I started a separate thread. These issues go to the heart of
what commons is, and why a significant number of committers now commit to
commons and no other jakarta project)

Stephen