commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <>
Subject Re: [VFS] The switch to commons logging.
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:03:22 GMT
Hi Brian

Just because the logging switched from using the facade in Avalon Framework
to using commons logging, doesn't mean we can't still configure the Log used
in a FileSystemManager. The parent that creates it can initialize the Log,
such as the FileSystemManagerFactory.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Olsen" <>
To: "Jakarta Commons Developers List" <>
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 10:22 AM
Subject: [VFS] The switch to commons logging.

Hey Adam,

I saw that you have switched VFS to the commons logging API and I'm not sure
I'm quite comfortable with that.
The logger class itself I have no problem with it's more the way you find
the logger that I don't like.

When we used LogEnabled the owner of each object was given the logger by
it's parent wich meant it was up to the creator of the FileSystemManager to
give a logger to it.

With the new logger, AbstractFileSystem looks up its own logger using the
logfactory using its class.
This new way of retriving the logger I see as a lose of functionality
because I can no longer have per instance loggers.

Why don't we use the Avalon Logger internally for the VFS and put the log
initializing code in the FileSystemManagerFactory instead???

- Brian

Do You Yahoo!?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>