commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Juozas Baliuka" <bali...@mwm.lt>
Subject Re: [VOTE] (re-vote) XxxUtils constructors
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:50:15 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Rall" <dlr@finemaltcoding.com>
To: "Jakarta Commons Developers List" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 10:16 AM
Subject: Re: [VOTE] (re-vote) XxxUtils constructors

> "Jack, Paul" <pjack@sfaf.org> writes:
>
> > 2.  The utility classes are marked as final.  Yay, no one
> > can add instance methods or otherwise wreak havoc with the
> > API.
>
> To state the obvious, no one could extend the class using Java's
> "extends" keyword, either.  This is a downside, as it reduces the
> usability of the class.

"final" doe's not reduces usability of static methods and private
constructors are meaningfull
for this kind of classes. It is  "namespace" in C++ therms, I do not think
it is good idea to
extend or instantiate "namespaces", but I prefer to depricate things before
make them private,
or do nothing if it breaks donor project.