commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Olsen" <br...@mmmanager.org>
Subject Re: [VFS] The switch to commons logging.
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:23:27 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "James Strachan" <james_strachan@yahoo.co.uk>
To: "Jakarta Commons Developers List" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 2:16 PM
Subject: Re: [VFS] The switch to commons logging.

> > But can I configure commons logger so that each instance of
> FileSystemManager has a different logger and all FileSystems and FileObjects
> created using that
> > FileSystemManager use that same logger???
>
> Sure. Log from commons-logging is just an interface, it can have any
> implementation and come from anywhere. Its very similar to the logging
> facade inside Avalon Framework.

What I was missing in commons logging was something similar to the AbstractLogEnabled class
of avalon logger as a way of giving a logger and for the class to retrive the logger.
In commons logging it seams that the way to get a Log instace was using static methods on
LogFactory.
They don't directly support the form of handing an instace the logger, you have to implement
this yourself.

Currently the code in VFS that use a logger retrives this using the LogFactory directly instead
of being handed the logger from the parent.

- Brian