commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject [OT] Newcomers
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2002 19:15:04 GMT
I feel compelled to write this, even though some will see it merely as flame
bait.

<opinion>
Commons began as a way for multiple jakarta projects to share code. Great!
Code reuse, sharing, shared effort... As a result, most, if not all of the
initial committers to commons were from the parent projects.

As commons has continued, and grown, various committers have arrived who do
not commit to a parent project, and simply wish to commit to commons. I am
one of those.

Recent debates, in more than one thread, have clearly indicated that some of
the original committers resent this. Newcomers have been treated with
disdain, new opinions rejected out of hand and insults thrown. The general
intent appears to be one of bullying - the original committers must be
right, how dare such newcomers challenge them.

I can cope with this only because I can see it for what it is. Its about
letting go, exactly as parents can often have difficulty letting go of their
children as they grow up. Except of course the parents are the original
committers and the child is the source code.

Remember, the jakarta commons website says
"We welcome participation from all that are interested, at all skill levels.
Coding, documentation and testing are all critical parts of the software
development process. If you are interested in participating in any of these
aspects, please join us!"

To be blunt, there is a lot less 'We welcome participation' than there
should be.
</opinion>

Stephen