commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <>
Subject RE: [lang] Action-taken [Was: StringUtils constructor is private]
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 15:19:04 GMT
> From: Henri Yandell []
> Resolution:
> I've built a version of the beta with StringUtils having a
> public constructor. Jason should be testing it out at some
> point soon to let me know if I screwed up.

> Does the private XxxUtils convention gain us anything? What
> do we care if someone makes an instance? It's ugly, but
> they're choosing the ugly.

It's nothing major, but if all the methods and variables are
static, creating a new StringUtils will not gain you anything.
Therefore, hiding the constructor prevents the misconception
that creating a new StringUtil() will really do anything besides
add additional crap for the GC to collect.

It doesn't gain much of anything to have/not have it.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message