commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [lang] System properties
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:50:44 GMT
> From: Juozas Baliuka [mailto:baliuka@mwm.lt]
>
> I believe it is possible to configure:
> system.threadingStrategy=GoodStrategy
>
>  possible it is very specific for OS, but I think it is
> better to configure "strategy" not to detect it from OS name
> and "Administrators Guide" is more usefull thing in this case.

I have, and use, an event based architecture which has a pluggable
thread management scheme.  One of those schemes determines the
pool size from the number of CPUs and the number of threads we
want per CPU.  Another one of those schemes gives me a thread
pool per event queue.

Threading strategies depend on the type of software you write.
Trust me, using the properties is not always the *best* solution.
In fact, in this case it is just clumsy.  Why force your *user*
to do work for you that you can do for yourself?  What happens
when the application is moved from one server to another and there
are fewer CPUs?  Your new server will get clogged up because it
can't handle the thread load that the previous server could,
so it will spend all of its cycles just switching between threads
and executing one command at a time.

Configurations get missed.  Properties get missed.  Requiring
a user to do your work for you is not really a good thing because
it can bite you in the butt later.