commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject [commons] StringUtils has a public constructor
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 08:23:52 GMT
As my change to StringUtils constructor appears to have been implicitly -1
VETOed by lazy consensus, I have reverted the change back to a public
constructor with disapproving comments. Interested parties please check it
out.

I could apologise at this point, but I feel that I have acted properly.
Since the first objection email on the topic I have sought compromises that
I believe met the requirements of the users whilst protecting commons.

For me one question in the debate always went unanswered. How would a bean
based tool like Velocity handle java.lang.Math and java.util.Collections?

As I pointed out in the Necomers thread, this debate is in part about what
commons can and cannot do. As such, I believe it is very valuable to the
future of commons.

Stephen