commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [lang] System properties
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:20:13 GMT
> From: Juozas Baliuka [mailto:baliuka@mwm.lt]
>
> Hi,
> I do not like any kind of OS detection, I think it useless.
> Things must be configured, not detected from System
> properties by OS name.
>
> Like "pool.maxThreads=40" and not this kind of crap:

<snip/>

> Doe's somebody knows "good" usage for OS_XXX ?

For OS_XXX? no.  There are no good usages in *Java*.  There
are a number of uses in C++, etc. where you may have to make
decisions based on the processor type or platform--i.e.
enabling some optimizations that are specific to a platform.
In Java, the best we can do is display a little bit of system
information.

What is the most useful bit of information is how many
processors exist.  The clumsy way is to require the user
to specify that in a property:

system.numcpus=2

And then later use that for threadpool sizing for an event based
system.  You can choose to have more than one thread per CPU,
or you can have a set of threads that you just use.

I honestly think the number of CPUs helps in the decision process,
because the system can handle that many more threads.  The only
problem is that there is no *currently* standard way of grabbing
that information.

Win 9x can only support one processor
Win NT/2000/XP use environment variables
UNIX systems usually have support for the /proc filesystem

Now, to reduce the number of "plug-ins" for the types of
platforms we can grab the number of CPUs from, the OS_XXX
macros can really help.  Windows95, Windows98, WindowsME
are all essentially the same plugin with a different name.
Same with the WindowsNT, Windows2000, and WindowsXP plugins.
The Linux plugin uses the /proc filesystem--which all UNIX
platforms should be able to support.

Outside of that, there is no real benefit I can see.