commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] RESULT XxxUtils constructors
Date Fri, 16 Aug 2002 08:16:27 GMT
> Daniel Rall <dlr@finemaltcoding.com> writes:
>
> > It works, but it's not backwards compatible, nor very fair to one of
> > the projects which (in part) orginated the code in question and that
> > the Commons documentation system is based on.  *shrug*
> >
> > If a non-private ctor isn't going to fly, it's probably the best
> > option proposed so far.
>
> So I was totally wrong about this, since that API's implementation has
> methods which really return null.  That won't work with Velocity (or
> much else, for that matter).

Thanks for the clarification. Now we know that XxxUtils in commons is
incompatable with Velocity as it stands. Thus the options are
- change Velocity
- change commons
- tough (fork code)

I voted last time, at least in part, on the belief that Velocity could find
a way around this. So, I would now reconsider my vote.

Daniel - can you clarify why this change to Velocity is unacceptable?:
context.putStatic(StringUtils.class)
[note the 'static' to indicate to use static methods, not an instance]

Stephen