commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Olsen" <br...@mmmanager.org>
Subject [VFS] The switch to commons logging.
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:22:46 GMT
Hey Adam,

I saw that you have switched VFS to the commons logging API and I'm not sure I'm quite comfortable
with that.
The logger class itself I have no problem with it's more the way you find the logger that
I don't like.

When we used LogEnabled the owner of each object was given the logger by it's parent wich
meant it was up to the creator of the FileSystemManager to give a logger to it.

With the new logger, AbstractFileSystem looks up its own logger using the logfactory using
its class.
This new way of retriving the logger I see as a lose of functionality because I can no longer
have per instance loggers.

Why don't we use the Avalon Logger internally for the VFS and put the log initializing code
in the FileSystemManagerFactory instead???

- Brian