commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [pattern][lang] Cross dependecy
Date Fri, 09 Aug 2002 12:44:27 GMT
Yes, circular dependencies are bad.  There are two solutions:

1) merge pattern into lang/container
   * It's a bigger JAR
   * It might break Lang's charter
   * A lot of political baggage

2) Create two layers of lang
   * Lang core is free of dependencies and can be safely included
     for Pattern.
   * Lang full would use Pattern.
   * The core jar might only have a couple classes
   * A full jar that merged all of them together would be helpful
     for projects who wanted to use Lang, which now means that
     they have to include Pattern.

I don't really like either solution--but circular dependencies are
really bad.  I am trying to untangle some in Avalon Excalibur.