commons-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: [VOTE] Create new commons-sandbox-dev mailing list
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:09:58 GMT
On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> I don't know if HTTPClient would be appropriate as a top-level project, but
> if it's something they want, we shouldn't try to keep them here.

I was speaking as an httpclient commiter and commons commiter.

If the majority of HTTPClient commiters want it to become a top-level
( and I'll be in the minority ), then I agree they should be
top-level.

> From my POV, I'm just afraid of creating a new de-facto project, the
> sandbox.  The sandbox is part of commons - I am interested in supporting

I agree. They still can't make any release out of sandbox.

The mailing list is just a tool to communicate. It should be trivial
to create mailing lists if that helps a more targeted communication.

> If it was a separate list, then the commons committers, who decide if a
> component from sandbox comes to commons, would have no idea what the project
> is about, etc etc

My assumptions is that many 'commons commiters' will also participate to
 sandbox.

My criteria is simple - if a proposal has a number of jakarta commiters
behind it and the potential of the code beeing used in at least one
jakarta project, I'm +1. I don't need to hear too much else to vote a
proposal in commons ( different story for a _release_ ).

Both commons and commons-sandbox are 'subsets' of jakarta. The sandbox
is already 'all jakarta', and the commons is getting closer with every
addition ( as more jakarta commiters participate in commons ). But not
everyone is interested in everything.

Costin