commons-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject RE: [VOTE] Create new commons-sandbox-dev mailing list
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2002 00:16:42 GMT
On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Martin Cooper wrote:

> > And I'm not very sure it's a good idea - it works very well as part
> > of commons.
>
> So did Cactus. But there came a time when Cactus had matured sufficiently,
> and was generating so much traffic on this list, that it made sense for it
> to be promoted to a full Jakarta project. And that's what happened. It seems
> to me that HttpClient is in exactly this state now, so I believe it makes
> complete sense to take the same approach.

Creating a top-level project because it has too much traffic is
the wrong solution.

Creating a separate list is a better solution.

I believe httpclient is perfectly fine in commons, and I think
it would be good for both httpclient and commons to remain here.

> My point is not that everyone working on Commons projects should *read* all
> Sandbox related messages, but that everyone working on Sandbox projects
> should at least *see* all Commons messages. It's important that Sandbox
> developers know what's going on in the world to which they aspire to be
> promoted.

They can subscribe if they want to. That's the purpose of separate
lists - to subscribe to what you want to read.

Commons is a project, the sandbox is just an experimental space.
If someone wants to create a dir in sandbox and not subscribe to
any commons - he can do it.

> And, as I said, I think it's important to keep Commons as a single
> community. To have two groups of people off doing their own thing in two
> different worlds is not what Commons was created for.

Both commons and sandbox have the whole jakarta as the 'community'.
And we have several dozens lists on jakarta, each commiter is
in several but not all.

Costin