commons-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject RE: [VOTE] Create new commons-sandbox-dev mailing list
Date Tue, 30 Jul 2002 22:55:26 GMT
On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Martin Cooper wrote:

> Better, splitting off HttpClient as a top level Jakarta project, assuming
> the committers would like to do that. That would have my +1. Splitting off a
> mailing list for HttpClient would have my +0, for reasons described below.

First, it's the PMC that should accept it as top-level project.
And I'm not very sure it's a good idea - it works very well as part
of commons.

Having separate mailing lists for http client ( or any other commons
component that wants to ) is possible and a good idea - all it
needs is a vote from the commiters.

> I'm -1 on the original proposal, for reasons that have already been stated
> by others (Hen & Geir). In addition, I don't like the idea of sandbox folks
> operating in a vacuum, without knowing what's going on in Commons proper,

I'm not sure I understand the reasons.

So you want to force everyone working on commons projects to read
and follow the sandbox ? That's crazy - I can barely follow all
the components in commons.

The argument that everyone must be forced to read won't work
anyway - it's just a bit harder to hit 'd' few dozends times
and deal with a messy mailbox.

Costin