commons-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject RE: [Logging] more issues with stack reading
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2002 21:05:42 GMT
On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> > Of course Tomcat exposes API - it is intended for people
> > extending tomcat. Realms, loggers, valves, etc. And also the
> > embeding API used by all who include tomcat in their products.
>
> I learned something new today. :)

I would have assumed that anyone using tomcat noticed the server.xml
and all the 'Interceptor' 'Realm', 'Listener', Logger, etc.
Each corresponds to an interface - which has been frozen and
stable since 3.3 and 4.0 were released ( in reasonable limits,
of course :-). The plan for 5.0 is to continue the support
for the existing interfaces that we expose.

> Java Management eXtensions designed purpose is to expose management
> functionality for servers.  The fact that it can be used for
> configuration is either a side benefit, or a bastardization of the
> spec--depending on your view (I know people on both sides of the
> coin, and I have no opinion yet).

I don't think 'for servers' is included in the spec. Its purpose
AFAIK is to standardise the management of java applications
( just like SNMP can be used for arbitrary applications - from
routers to databases ).

'Configuration' ( and runtime configuration ) is the core piece of
'management'.

> If a function is available via the wrapper, it should be available
> to all wrappers.  That means the user will view it as being Commons
> Logging.

If the Logger exposes a JMX view - the user will view all the capabilities
of the specific logger implementation.

Think of a Realm - while all authenticators share the same interface,
a database realm will have a quite different set of attributes
to configure than a text realm.

Costin