commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael A. Smith" <...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [collections] SoftRefHashMap (was RE: Avalon excalibur collec tions migration status)
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2002 21:58:07 GMT
On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Jack, Paul wrote:
> > which archive?
>
> I've been using:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org/index.html.
>
> No messages have been archived there since 6/16/2002.  I actually left
> a message about the problem at their "gossip" mailing list but haven't
> heard a response.

It looks like the message sent right after yours was mentioning a
similar problem.  The response to that one indicated a full disk array:

http://www.mail-archive.com/gossip@jab.org/msg00568.html

There was no estimate on how long the missing messages would take before
they get into the archive:
http://www.mail-archive.com/gossip@jab.org/msg00570.html

For now, try the other archives.  Eyebrowse on nagoya seems to work:
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/SummarizeList?listId=15

> > > Now I'm thinking that ReferenceMap is useful for weak keys
> > > (in a pre-JDK1.3 application), weak values, soft keys, soft
> > > values...One class for four cases.
> >
> > As long as it sits over a hash based map, this should work.
>
> ReferenceMap is a hash based map.  (I didn't call it ReferenceHashMap
> because it doesn't extend java.util.HashMap).

I like ReferenceMap better anyway.  :)

> Hm.  I'll alter ReferenceMap so that it doesn't allow phantoms and
> re-submit.  I'll see if softValued and weakValued decorators are worth
> it (there might be issues with values too that we just haven't thought
> of.)

The only problem with values that I know of are maps that restrict valid
values and maps that have different contracts on what the value actually
is (e.g. MultiMap).  That may be enough of a reason not to provide
decorators for the values -- at least for our next release.

> Ah, the steadily growing To-do list...

:)

regards,
michael