commons-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: Support for JDK1.4 Logger in Commons Package
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2002 16:26:31 GMT
On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> To be honest, I have no idea why Costin implemented o.a.c.l.i.Log4jFactory
> as a separate factory implementation, instead of just tweaking the default
> o.a.c.l.i.LogFactoryImpl class.  But the standard factory supports JDK 1.4
> just fine for me.

Few reasons:

- to make sure the mechanism works. After all, creating a factory is
the extension mechanism, not editing LogFactoryImpl.

- I don't like very much the idea of a single class that has all the
loggers inside. LogFactoryImpl is great to deal with the existing major
logger impls.

- I wanted to add some more logic ( besides simply creating a LogFactory )
- i.e. use attributes  to allow some tunning ( like in XML land ).

- I had hopes that Log4jFactory will eventually move to the right
place, in log4j, with a proper manifest and all the 'right' things,
including attributes, etc.  That doesn't seem very likely now.

Most of those are no longer very important - I can remove it
if you think it's too complicated and confuse people.

Costin