commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [lang] Commons.Lang promotable?
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2002 07:51:21 GMT

The CharSet split is done.

The stripXXX change is not done as the code uses null for a strip on
whitespace. The javadoc shows that the original intention was for:

StringUtils.stripStart("abbaaword","ab") to strip the a's and the b's out.

A worry there would be that a user would expect it to strip out only
the token 'ab' and not any 'a' or 'b'. Indeed, this would seem the more
normal usage, so my suggestion would be for the code to handle delimiters
larger than a single character and treat the delimiter as an entire token
and not a set of characters as the javadoc suggests.

Any views?

[I'm assuming this isn't a major issue regarding the Commons promotion].

Hen